Tuesday 10 March 2009

'Working from home'

What a great statement that is: 'working from home'. As if we mums ever do anything but work at home. In my case, the childcare, cooking, cleaning and other wifely duties I spend a considerable portion of the day partaking in do not seem to count as work; instead the two hours for which I sit in front of my laptop tapping away writing text for various places is considered my 'work'. An interesting perspective when, in all honesty, it is the looking after of my children, educating them and generally (hopefully) helping them to grow in to well balanced, healthy and polite young men that I consider to be my main career.
For example, today I spent my two hours 'working' drinking tea, listening to Radio One and generally being rather relaxed. 11.30 comes around and it's a race to the nursery to collect Charlie, carrying his scooter (which, incidentally, hurts a lot when it bangs in to your shin), collect a miserable Charlie, who looks like he may be getting conjunctivitis, back to the childminders' house to pick up Felix, home, cook lunch, put coats, boots etc back on before heading out again to the chemists/co-op before it looks like it may tip it down with rain. Finally get home and sit down at 3.30, then the pestering begins to get the paints out... Paints out, mess made, put away, cook tea, make them eat the food I have prepared, play a lovely game of pairs, read two stories (to save arguments) then bath/bed for them followed by bath/bed for me (after a little writing of course...)
Add to this vast amount of to-ing and fro-ing the growing baby bump I am carrying, the lack of car and a pregnancy joy that I haven't experienced in my two previous pregnancies: thrush.
Yes, joy of joys I have the dreaded itching, burning, painful thrush. Which, not only makes for uncomfortable days but also for sleepless nights as nothing will ease the burning after having woken up at 2am for a pee. Hence the dash to the chemists today. Cross your fingers it works, and I'll cross my legs...

No comments:

Post a Comment